Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MATTHEW'S CHURCH, BRYNCRUG

Site Details



NPRN 43891

Map Reference SH60SW

Grid Reference SH6093503364

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Bryn-crug

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Matthew's Church is situated within a rectilinear churchyard whose southern boundary is delineated by a road. The church was built in a plain lancet style to designs of E.B.Ferrey as a memorial church in 1880-2. Constructed of dark green stone with Cefn sandstone lancets, the church consists of nave and narrower chancel, west bellcote, gabled south-west porch, and lean-to north vestry. The font is circular with carved marble roundels.
The present building is much the same as when it was built, although there are slight differences in the pattern of stonework.
Sources include:
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.565.
www.churchinwales.org.uk/bangor/diocese/parish_details/ystumaner/stmatthew.htm
Google Street View, September 2009.

D Leighton & N Vousden, RCAHMW, 31 March 2016