UNNAMED WRECK AT MOUTH OF LERI CHANNEL;LERI WRECK
Map Reference SN69SW
Grid Reference SN6162393928
Unitary (Local) Authority Maritime
Old County Maritime
Type of Site WRECK
Broad Class MARITIME
Period Post Medieval
Site Description This remains of this vessel were given Scheduled Ancient Monument status (CD282) on 6 August 2015, along with two other nearby hulks (see NPRNs 408481 and 407989). The three seperate areas are combined under the scheduling reflecting the visible remains and the potential extent of each vessel.
The stern and part of the starboard side of the vessel can be seen eroding out of the steep bank of the Aber Leri. Some 1-1.5m of sediment has accumulated over the hulk and the deck has collapsed under the weight. A lone roofing slate can be seen protuding from the interior of the hull. Timbers from the overhanging stern remain only partially attached. The external planking measures 230mm deep and 40mm wide and is fastened with treenails 30mm in diameter. The hulk was the subject of a laser scanning survey by the Royal Commission in 2014.
Event and Historical Information:
The third of three vessels depicted on an Admiralty chart published in 1892 (based on surveys undertaken in 1890). Sources suggest that the vessels were part of the Derwenlas slate-carrying fleet which was made redundant after the coming of the railway closed the quays in the upper reaches of the estuary. However, the Minutes of the Cambrian Railway Company retained at The National Archives, Kew, note that the Aberdyfi ferry was also engaged carrying minerals in the last years of its ownership by company. Surveys undertaken by the Malvern Archaeological Diving Unit and Dyfed Archaeological Trust in 2015 has confirmed that the three hulks are markedly different in size (see NPRN 407989 and 408431). The hypothesis that is now being explored is that the hulks are, in fact, the last three sailing ferries (small, medium and large) which were used in the slate trade as well as for general cargo carrying around the estuary. This hulk may be middle-sized sailing ferry used for passengers and to transfer stock animals. It seems likely that these vessels were put to a last useful purpose in 1868 after the ferry service was ended by the railway company - to mark a difficult turn in the channel.
Admiralty Chart OCB1484-B3, RCAHMW Digital Collections
C C Green, 1993, The Coastlines of the Cambrian Railways, pg126
Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, March 2016.