Llanfihangel Court stands on levelled ground on the east side of the Honddu river valley, to the SE of the village of Llanvihangel Crucorney. It is essentially Tudor in appearance, and is stone built on a H-plan, incorporating several building phases.
The house undoubtedly stands on the site of a medieval house (small parts of which are incorporated). The oldest main part of the house is the east wing, built in about 1520. The eastern front was remodelled in 1559 by Rhys Morgan.
In 1608 the house was sold to the earl of Worcester, and before 1627 (sundial on wall with initials N.A. and 1627) was sold again to Nicholas Arnold of Llanthony, a noted horse breeder. In about 1640-50 the interior was remodelled and some of the Tudor windows were replaced by long mullioned windows. Nicholas Arnold died in 1665 and was succeeded by his son John, a rabid anti-catholic and Whig politician. He moved the main door to the middle of the north side (and at the same time made the terraces and planted the avenues). In about 1673 the southern annexe (with the yew staircase) was added. In 1726 his daughter sold the Court to Edward Harley (in 1741 his son became 3rd earl of Oxford). The 5th earl sold the Court to Hugh Powell in 1801 (d. 1821), who left it to his godson William Powell Rodney (d. 1878).
To the south of the house are various outbuildings including early seventeenth century stables and a large mid seventeenth century barn, and to the south of these is a walled kitchen garden.
The interior has exposed timber framing, plaster ceilings, a magnificent staircase and panelling. There are also wallpaintings, including a floral design on the walls and fireplaces, and painted panelling.
RCAHMW, February 2009