Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PLOUGH WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL AND UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, LION STREET, BRECON

Site Details


NPRN 6002

Map Reference SO02NW

Grid Reference SO04642850

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Brecon

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Plough Chapel, Brecon, formerly the Welsh Congregational Chapel, had one of the earliest independent chapel congregations in mid-Wales, dating back to 1699, and taking its name from the house in which early meetings took place. The chapel occupies a town centre site with coloured flagstone forecourt and low wall fronting Lion St. The original chapel foundations on this site date from the late 17th century. The existing chapel was built in 1841 in classical style, on the former chapel garden. Major rebuilding work was undertaken in 1892 by Benjamin Jenkins, local builder. The chapel has a rectangular plan and a triple gable slate roof with ridge tiles - re-roofed 1980s. There is a pedimented porch with two flanking bays added in 1892 as part of a rebuild; to the design of architect Owen Morris Roberts. The entrance is supported by a single cast-iron column and two engaged columns merging with front walls of porch, with decorative wrought ironwork. A balcony round all four sides of chapel is supported on fluted iron columns; the balcony frontal has arcading with floral relief decoration. There are arched panels flanked by ebonised columns and a clock and large pipe organ. There is a high stone wall forming the rear boundary of the chapel which reputedly follows the line of the old medieval town wall.

Sorces: CADW listed buildings database; Hughes, T. J.; Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.

RCAHMW, 9 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records