Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HEOL AWST WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL ON LAMMAS STREET, CARMARTHEN

Site Details



NPRN 6232

Map Reference SN42SW

Grid Reference SN4090520030

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Carmarthen

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 18th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Heol Awst Welsh Independent Chapel was built in 1726, and underwent a number of phases of rebuilding and expansion. It was first rebuilt in 1802, and again in 1826-7, when it was thought to be the largest chapel in Wales. In 1846 it was further enlarged in the Classical style with a square plan. The Sunday school was added in 1888.

The chapel is unpainted roughcast with stucco dressings, with a slate deep-eaved hipped roof. It is of two storeys, with a pair of timber doorcases with Ionic columns on the ground floor, and wide arched windows with small panes and interlacing glazing bars to heads. Inside, the chapel is galleried with very early Gothic details, rare in a nonconformist chapel.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record

K Steele, RCAHMW, 10 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records