Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ENGLISH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, LAMMAS STREET, CARMARTHEN

Site Details



NPRN 6235

Map Reference SN42SW

Grid Reference SN4081620109

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Carmarthen

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The English Congregational Chapel was built in 1861-2 to the design of Poulton & Woodman of Reading, in a Gothic style to a gable-entry plan. It is built from rock-faced rubble stone with ashlar dressings, with angle- and stepped buttresses, and a steep slate roof with coped gable and crested ridge tiles. To the right of the front elevation is an extravagant slender tower with sharp ashlar spire topped by a weathervane. The side walls are of six bays, with pointed single-light windows between buttresses and chamfered stone eaves. The rear gable is masked by a single storey schoolroom.

Inside, the church has a panelled roof on deep arch-braced trusses rising from decorative corbels. There is a large gallery carried on beams and joints, and a clock by H.J. Williams of Carmarthen. The polygonal pulpit has been moved from its original position, and has trefoil panels with Gothic lead scroll to the spandrels. The organ, set into an spsed recess, is by W. Charles of Bristol. This chapel is a fine example of Gothic architecture.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record

K Steele, RCAHMW, 10 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records