Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ENGLISH BAPTIST CHURCH, LAMMAS STREET, CARMARTHEN

Site Details



NPRN 6237

Map Reference SN42SW

Grid Reference SN4106720098

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Carmarthen

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The English Baptist Church on Lammas Street is one of the most architecturally ambitious classical chapels in Wales. It has a fine Bath Stone five-bay temple front, with a four-column full Corinthian detached portico to the centre three bays, below a blank tympanum. Above is a hipped slate roof. The side elevations are of snecked rubble, and each have four bays. The end gable is coped with an apex vent. There is also a lower organ-chamber with a stepped three-light window and yellow bridck lean-to. The chapel was built in 1869-70 by George Morgan, leading nineteenth century architect of Carmarthen and dean of the chapel.
The interior of the chapel has original furnishings, inlcuding a great seat with simple ballustrade and baptistry. The complex timber roof is divided into four bays with tie beams. The gallery, which crosses the front wall, has a pierced cast-iron band to the front, and is carried on fluted cast-iron columns. The organ was also designed by George Morgan.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 13 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records