Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HEN FETHEL WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, GARNANT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 6342

Map Reference SN61SE

Grid Reference SN6815214400

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Cwmamman

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 18th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Old Bethel Chapel was first built in 1773, though the current building dates to the rebuilding of 1825/6. It is in the simple Gothic style, built from whitewashed rubble stone with a slate roof over. It is a long-wall entry type, with a simple balanced front with a pair of pointed-arched windows in the centre with doorways right and left, and smaller pointed-arched windows to the gallery stairs at either end. The windows have Y-tracery hears with small panes below.

The chapel is an exceptionally well-preserved example, retaining its contemporary furnishings, rendering it one of the last early nineteenth century interiors to survive unaltered in South Wales. It has a stone flagged floor, and flat whitewashed six-bay ceiling with visible soffits of the tie beams. The gallery is supported by cast-iron columns and later supports, which replace original timber peris. The fireplace opposite the pulpit on the long wall has a raised iron fire-basket set flush in a whitewashed brickwork surround.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record

K Steele, RCAHMW, 13 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites