Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PARK STREET ENGLISH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, MURRAY ST. AND INKERMAN ST., LLANELLI;UNITED REFORM

Site Details



NPRN 6424

Map Reference SN50SW

Grid Reference SN5066000144

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanelli

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Park Street Congregational Chapel was built in 1839 and enlarged in 1846. The present church dates from 1864 and was designed by the London architectural practic of Lander and Bedells. The chapel is Gothic in style, with a gable entry and square tower with steeple. The Sunday School, built in 1889, is also by Lander & Bedells. The chapel is now Grade 2 listed.

RCAHMW, June 2009

Park Street Congregational Chapel, 1864-65

This English-language chapel was built in full `church-gothic' in the 1860s when very few Welsh-language nonconformist congregations would build in a style associated with the established Anglican church. The London architects Lander & Bedells would have been chosen because this denomination was part of the Congregational Union of England and Wales and the denominational building fund, aiding the congregation to erect this elaborate building, had favoured specialist architects. However the architects were determined not to be constricted by traditional church gothic and the fairly orthodox square tower is capped by a narrower octagonal stage before the tall steeple billows out again to form the base of a high octagonal stone spire. Despite the grandeur of the architecture, this English-language chapel could only accommodate 580 but its rear two schools, including an elegant octagonal extension built by the same architects in 1889, could accommodate no less than 611 Sunday scholars, the third largest total in Llanelli at the time of the 1905 census.

Stephen R. Hughes, RCAHMW, 06.09.2007

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites