Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TABERNACL INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, COLESHILL TERRACE, LLANELLI

Site Details



NPRN 6429

Map Reference SN50SW

Grid Reference SN5051100391

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanelli

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The Tabernacl Independent Chapel was built in 1872-3 by John Humphreys of Morriston. It is possibly the most elaborate chapel in Llanelli, built of brown snecked rubble stone with extensive Bath stone dressings, below a slate tiled roof. The entrance facade has a monumental Corinthian three-bay central arcade, with narrow wings with arched lights. The main windows have 'Florentine' tracery, with paired arched lights and a roundel above each window, marginal glazing bars and ashlar frames. The side elevations each have five windows, in giant arcades with ashlar capitals. The rear is gables with a two-storey, two-window projection. Inside is a fine unaltered interior under wide elliptical-arched panelled ceiling, corniced with corbel blocks to ribs. The four sided gallery with curved angles is mounted upon cast-iron columnsThe organ recess has large Corinthian pilasters each side and on inner faces, and elliptical panelled arch, housing an organ by W G Vowles, Bristol.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record

K Steele, RCAHMW, 13 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records