Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HALL STREET ENGLISH WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, LLANELLI

Site Details



NPRN 6452

Map Reference SN50SW

Grid Reference SN5053200617

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanelli

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Hall Street Chapel was first built in 1838, then rebuilt in 1856 by architect James Wilson of Bath. The present building is Gothic in style and of the gable entry type. The tower and spire were modified by architect William Griffiths of Llanelli in 1896. The building is listed Grade 2.

RCAHMW, June 2009

Hall Street is important for being one of the first gothic chapels in Wales and moreover in fully correct `church-gothic' with a large traceried window in flowing-decorated style of the later fourteenth-century and a tower and spire that could have been drawn from a medieval church. The Wesleyans were a highly centralised denomination with an integrated Welsh/English structure and were largely English-speaking. For these reasons a professional architect approved by the central estates committee and usually based in England would be chosen so that a building-grant could be received from the central organisation. In this case the architect was James Wilson who introduced the Gothic Revival style to the Wesleyans in the 1840s and the large gable front with traceried window at Llanelli is similar to one he built at Bath ten years previously.

Stephen R. Hughes, RCAHMW, 06.09.2007

Digital Images

Archive Records