Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MOREIA WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL;MORIAH;RHYDYPARC, BLAENWAUN

Site Details



NPRN 6593

Map Reference SN22NW

Grid Reference SN2332927580

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanwinio

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Moreia Welsh Independent Chapel was first built in 1828/9, before being rebuilt/modified 1885. It is of the short-wall entry type, with a central arched door flanked by two tall glazed sash windows with arched heads, and topped by a large arched window with Y-tracery. The front facade of the chapel is built from coursed rubblestone, while the side elevations are rendered, with two rows of plain sash windows. The pitched roof is of slate.
The interior of the church is of particular note, with a gallery around three walls, mounted upon Corinithian-style cast-iron columns, with an elaborate cast-iron balustrade. The ceiling is boarded and painted, with timber exposed beams. Below are three banks of box pews, and a central dias with great seat.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 16 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records