Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BETHESDA INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 6735

Map Reference SH66NW

Grid Reference SH6232166677

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Bethesda

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Bethesda Independent Chapel was built in 1820 and rebuilt in 1840. The chapel was rebuilt again in 1875 to the design of architect Richard Owen of Liverpool, in the Classical style of the short-wall entry type. The building was listed Grade 2 in 1988 but has since fallen into dereliction and the fine interior has been removed.

RCAHMW, September 2009

Rapid expansion in the nineteenth century owing to the prosperous Penrhyn Quarry led to the presence of no fewer than ten chapels in the town, including Bethesda Independent Chapel. The use of Biblical names was highly favoured by nonconformist congregations, those of the Old Testament considered particularly important. (Extract from the forthcoming 'Historic Wales from the Air', RCAHMW, 2012).

Digital Images

Archive Records