Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

JERUSALEM WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL, PANT-GLAS ROAD, BETHESDA

Site Details



NPRN 6751

Map Reference SH66NW

Grid Reference SH6245566745

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Bethesda

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Jerusalem Welsh Calvinist Methodist Chapel was founded and built in 1842 to the design of T. Evans of Bangor. It was later remodelled, in 1872-5, by Richard Davies of Caernarfon. It is a large, near-square plan chapel, in the Italianate palazzo style resulting in a building that looks more like a town hall than a chapel. The majority of the building is original, with the unpainted stucco exterior and large porch added in 1872. The chapel is of two storeys, with a hipped slate roof. There are five windows to the front elevation, four to the sides; the windows are very large small-paned sashes in moulded architraves with rope-mould detail. To the front of the chapel are quoin pillasters with facetted rustication. The single-storey porch has three bays, below a flat roof. The central bay forms a monumental round arch, between pillastered outer bays. To the rear of the chapel is a very large hipped-roof two-storey schoolroom and vestry block.

The remodelling of 1872-5 was planned to resemble an amphitheatre, and the majority of the interior comprises steeply raked curved pews following a U-plan, backing onto a curved inner wall with plain sash windows, some taking borrowed light. The polished mahogany freestanding pulpit is monumental, with polished brass rails and steps to either side. In front of the Sedd-Fawr is a railed semi-circular area for the orchestra and to the rear of the chapel is a gallery housing an organ bought in 1905 from Huddersfield Town Hall, with a fine Renaissance-style triple arch, with ornamental decoration to the cornice, frieze, spandrels and capitals. The ceiling forms a large domed main circle, with broad moulded surround and moulded ring to the centre rose, flanked by radiating patterns. There is a pendant chandelier which was added at a later date.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents
Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker (2009), The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide, page 263.

RCAHMW, October 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites