Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BEREA WELSH BAPTIST CHURCH, TAN-Y-GRISIAU TERRACE, CRICCIETH

Site Details



NPRN 6792

Map Reference SH53NW

Grid Reference SH5001037991

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Criccieth

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Berea Welsh Baptish Church was built in 1866, when the congregation of the old chapel of Pen Y Maes (NPRN 6793) moved. David Lloyd George maintained close links with this chapel throughout his life, having worshipped here with his family. The chapel is simple, in the sub-Classical style, with decorative detailing only on the gabled fa├žade. The gable wall is smooth rendered, with raised moulded plaster and roughcast dressings, topped by a slate roof with red tiled crestings. The chapel is entered via a lean-to porch, with a three-light window facing to the front. To either side of the porch are tall round-headed windows in moulded architraves with pronounced keystones. Above the porch are three further round-headed windows, above which is a panel with raised lettering inscribed 'BEREA / 1866'. The side elevations, which are of rubble stone, each have four bays with round-headed windows.
The internal walls are plastered with dado panelling. The original pews and benches remain in site. The Baptistry is beneath the floor of the dias. The chapel did not have deacons, and therefore the central lectern on the front platform is not accompanied by a set fawr.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record & RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 February 2009

Built 1866. Strong associations with the Lloyd George family (see also NPRN 6793). Sub-classical style, gable entry type; present building dates from 1866. Status (1998): in chapel use. The Cadw list description states that Capel Berea was established when the congregation of the old chapel of Pen-y-maes moved in 1886. The chapel had a strong connection with the family of Lloyd George, whose uncle was a minister when the chapel was opened. Lloyd George and his family worshipped in the chapel, and he retained important links with it throughout his life.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites