Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PEN-Y-MAES WELSH BAPTIST CHAPEL;CAPEL UCHAF, CRICCIETH

Site Details



NPRN 6793

Map Reference SH43NE

Grid Reference SH4972838686

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Criccieth

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Pen-Y-Maes Welsh Baptist Chapel was built in the 1790s, and rebuilt in 1817. The founding community left the chapel in 1886 in order to move to Berea Welsh Baptist Church (NPRN 6792). David Lloyd George was baptised in the stream adjacent to the chapel, where his family worshipped. The chapel is in the Vernacular style, built from local stone, and topped with a slate roof. The entrance is via a central wooden-boarded door with overlight in the lateral-fa├žade. This is flanked by two small-paned sash windows with flat lintels over. A small storeyed chapel house, built from stone with a slate roof, is attached to the chapel at the south-east gable end.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 February 2009

Archive Records

Associated Sites