Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SALEM WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, CRICCIETH

Site Details



NPRN 6797

Map Reference SH43NE

Grid Reference SH4985038248

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Criccieth

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Salem Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was first built c.1809, but later rebuilt to the design of Owen Morris Roberts of Porthmadog in 1869. The chapel is in the Gothic style with a gable facade of coursed stone with sandstone dressings. It is entered via a wood panelled door set into a three bay lean-to porch; the door is flanked by two small paned windows, and topped by pointed arched and small gabled peaks. Above the porch are five pointed arch windows, the centre three forming a geometric arch with a foiled circular light above, and all surrounded by a continuous hood-mould. In the gable peak is a further pointed arched lancet window with rusticated surround. The side elevations are roughcast, and have paned sash windows with pointed arches. To the rear of the chapel is an attached Sunday School.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 20 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records