Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

NPRN 6800

Map Reference SH33NE

Grid Reference SH3740735104

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Pwllheli

Type of Site CHAPEL


Period 17th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The first chapel was built on the site of Pen-lan Welsh Independent Chapel c.1672. It was subject to a number of phases of rebuilding, in 1744, 1814, 1841 and 1863. It was later renovated in 1960 and 1988. The painted and rendered chapel is in the Classical style, with a pedimented three-bay front with emphasised Doric pilasters, stepped out entablature and details. The central bay is a rusticated giant arch, rising over a corbelled datestone, below which is a Venetian-derived central window with round arch heads, keystones and pilasters, and the ground floor entrance below a round headed arch. The side bays each have a tall round arched paned window, with moulded architraves and keystones. The left elevation has five bays, again with tall round arched windows. The right hand elevation has four bays with similar windows, and an adjoining hall. The roof is of slate with small gabled ventilators.
Within, the chapel was a panelled ceiling with ornate roses. Below is a rectangular gallery with boarded panels, mounted upon timber columns, and raked seating. The organ chamber is reached via an arch with sunburst and a pair of fluted pilasters. The hall mirrors the style of the chapel interior.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 20 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records