Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MAESYNEUADD WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, TREFOR

Site Details



NPRN 6852

Map Reference SH34NE

Grid Reference SH3742146579

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanaelhaearn

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Maesyneuadd Welsh Independent Chapel was first built in 1812, but later rebuilt in 1880, to house a congregation that originally met in the farmhouse opposite. The chapel is of stone, with the side and rear elevations roughcast, while the gable façade is rendered and has banded rustication to the lower storey, with a moulded string separating the storeys. The building is entered via a pair of central doors with overlights in a slightly projecting bay with broad pilasters. In the narrow side bays to either side there are three small windows. The central bay on the second storey has a round-headed paned window with keystone and narrow square headed side lights, and is defined by a pair of Corinthian pilasters supporting a heaving cornice and pediment. There are returns to both sides of the gable façade, with wide pilasters flanking a small second storey window, and topped by a steep pitched gable pediment. The side elevations each have four rows of windows, square-headed on the lower storey, round-headed above.
Inside the chapel is a three-sided gallery with wood panelled front supported by cast iron Corinthian columns, and slightly raked seating. The walls are plastered with a dado. The ceiling is moulded and compartmented with plaster rosettes.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 20 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records