Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CAERSALEM WELSH BAPTIST CHURCH;JERUSALEM WELSH BAPTIST CHURCH, GARNONS STREET, CAERNARFON

Site Details



NPRN 6866

Map Reference SH46SE

Grid Reference SH4813862566

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Caernarfon

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Caersalem Welsh Baptist Church was first built in 1827 for a community founded in 1815. The renowned Baptist preacher, Christmas Evans, served as minister of this church from 1832 to 1838, and he is commemorated by a bust on the pulpit. The original church was later extended in c.1855 and rebuilt in 1869 to the design of John Thomas of Caernarvon. It is in a Classical and Lombardic/Italianate style, with a three-bay gable entrance, with painted tooled stone dressings and coped gable, topped by a slate roof. The central bay is approached via stairs, leading to flanking gable porches with coped gables. The fenestration comprises two-light windows with Italianate tracery, and quatrefoil tracery lights with key moulded surrounds.
Within the church is a three-sided raked gallery with a projected panelled front. The plastered ceiling has relief panels and foliage decoration. Behind the pulpit is a shallow apse with a richly moulded arch on Corinthian pilasters; the apse has three stained glass windows depicting Alpha, Omega and a dove.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 2 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources