Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TURF SQUARE MISSION HALL, CAERNARFON;TURF SQUARE WELSH CALVINIST METHODIST SUNDAY SCHOOL AND ENGLISH PRESBYTERIAN CHAPEL

Site Details



NPRN 6876

Map Reference SH46SE

Grid Reference SH47956285

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Caernarfon

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Turf Square Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was built in 1873 as a mission hall, an offshoot of Moriah Chapel. The ground floor was occupied by the Welsh Sunday School and the upper floor by the newly formed English Presbyterian Congregation. The English Presbyterians outgrew the facilities and moved to their purpose-built Castle Square Chapel (NPRN 6869) in 1883. The building was gable-entry plan but with entrances at the outer corners and two central windows, and in Romanesque style. The building has been demolished.

RCAHMW, D J Percival, 29 March 2007