Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CEFN-Y-WAUN WELSH CALVINIST METHODIST CHAPEL;CAPEL CEFN-Y-WAEN, DEINIOLEN

Site Details


NPRN 6938

Map Reference SH56SE

Grid Reference SH5857563004

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanddeiniolen

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Cefn-y-Waun Welsh Calvinist Methodist Chapel was built in 1838 on the site of a former school, but later rebuilt in 1868 by E. & R. Jones of Llanwnda to the design of R. Davies of Bangor. It is in the Romanesque style, built from rock-faced snecked stone with buff ashlar dressings, and topped by a slate roof. The chapel is entered via a pair of round-headed doorways in the front gable elevation, which has three bays with giant pilasters, a pedimented gable, and Lombardic cornice and oculus. The central bay has a large wheel window of 10 lights. The outer bays have pairs of round-headed windows with oculi and semi-circlets. The side bays are of two storeys, with six bays of round-headed windows, slightly taller to the upper storey. The rear elevation has a Lombardic cornice and oculcus.

Within the church is a fine ceiling with classical cornice, moulded panels and roses. There is a three-sided gallery with panelled front mounted upon iron columns with Corinthian capitals. The box pews form two aisles, in front of which is a panelled pulpit with heavy cornice and flanking curved stairs.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

RCAHMW, January 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records