Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CAPEL NEWYDD WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, NANHORON, GWINLLAN

Site Details



NPRN 6974

Map Reference SH23SE

Grid Reference SH2858230919

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanengan

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 18th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The community of Capel Newydd was founded in 1740, and the chapel built in 1770-2. Alterations were carried out in the early nineteenth century, and there was a further restoration in 1956-8 by T. Alwyn Lloyd and Alex Gordon of Cardiff and M.T. Pritchard of Bangor. The chapel is probably the earliest surviving nonconformist chapel in north Wales with one of the very few surviving early chapel interiors. It is earth floored with box pews in a long barn-like space, with whitewashed low plastered walls and an open roof of five pine pegged collar trusses. The pews are arranged in two rows with an axial passage. One of the box pews is for Catherine, the wife of Timothy Edwards of Nanhoron. The pulpit is plain and square with curved angles. The chapel is built of rubble stone with a steep roof of small slates with stone gable copings.

Source: CADW listed buildings database.

RCAHMW, 7 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources