Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

REHOBOTH WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, LLANIESTYN

Site Details



NPRN 6993

Map Reference SH23SE

Grid Reference SH2698833315

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Botwnnog

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Rehoboth Welsh Independent Chapel was built in 1807 to house a community founded in 1800. It was then rebuilt in the Classical style in 1869. The chapel, which is built of uncoursed rubblestone, is entered via a central wooden double doorway with fanlight over in the gable end. Above the doorway are two small round-headed windows, and to either side is a single tall round-headed window. In the apex of the gable is a quatrefoil oculus, below which is a tablet inscribed '1869 Rehoboth'. The side elevations, which are slate hung, each have two tall round-headed windows.
Inside, the chapel has a three-sided gallery with wooden panelled front, mounted upon cast iron columns with Corinthian capitals. To the front of the chapel, above the set fawr, is a wall mounted clock set within an arch with Ionic pilasters. There is a memorial within the chapel for Revd. John Henry Hughes (1814-93).

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 3 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records