Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BETHANIA WELSH BAPTIST CHURCH, WILLIAM STREET, CARDIGAN

Site Details



NPRN 7141

Map Reference SN14NE

Grid Reference SN1790246187

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Cardigan

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 18th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Bethania Welsh Baptist Church was first built in 1775/6, but rebuilt/modified in 1819, 1843, and finally in 1846-7 to the design of Daniel Evans of Cardigan. Further modifications were made in 1868, 1882, 1900 and 1908. It is in the Classical style, with an unpainted stuccoed gable facade and blue lias rubble side elevations. The two storey chapel front has five bays, with the centre bays enclosed by a giant arch; the outer bays have a rusticated facade. There are three windows on the first floor, each with semi-circular heads and moulded archivolts. On the lower floor there are a pair of plain rectangular windows, flanking a central Greek Doric portico with fluted columns, under which there is a pair of panelled doors with tall rectilinear overlights. The side elevations have arched sashes above and twelve pane sashes below.
Within, the chapel has maintained much original detail, including rich plaster cornice, flat ceiling with classical plant motifs and central domelet, box pews, and a three-sided gallery with timber panelled front, mounted upon cast iron Doric columns. The pulpit, set fawr and organ, the latter by P. Conacher and Co., Huddersfield, date from 1900.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 16 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources