Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TABERNACL WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL, GLANMOR TERRACE, NEW QUAY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7194

Map Reference SN35NE

Grid Reference SN3893759821

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community New Quay

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Tabernacl Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was built in 1807 to house a community founded in 1744; it was later rebuilt/modified in 1837, 1861 nand 1867-9. The interior was remodelled in 1926/7. The chapel is in a simple round-headed style, with an unpainted roughcast exterior below a hipped slate roof with profecting bracketed flat eaves. Much of the front elevation of the chapel is masked by the large schoolroom, added in 1892, projecting towards the street. The chapel is entered via a hipped roofed porch to the left of the school room, possibly added in 1927, with large double doors with leaded fanlight. Above the porch are two long narrow arched windows, and a roundel datestone. The side and rear elevations have arched upper windows and rectangular ground floor windows with unpainted architraves.
Inside the chapel there is a three-sided timber panelled gallery without supporting columns. The ceiling is timber boarded with a coved border. There is a semi-circular set fawr with panelled back, and a pulpit with panelled front, with steps to either side. The organ is by Vowles and dates to 1896.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records