Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CAPEL CAERONNEN WELSH UNITARIAN CHAPEL, CELLAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7197

Map Reference SN64NW

Grid Reference SN6063248948

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llanfair Clydogau

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 17th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The community of Capel Caeronnen Welsh Unitarian Chapel was formed in 1654, though the current chapel dates primarily from 1846 when it was rebuilt. It was later renovated in 1925. The chapel is in the Vernacular style, entered via a central wooden-boarded door with frosted overlight in the three-bay southeastern gable end. The windows and doorways are square-headed; the fenestration comprises late nineteenth or early twentieth century sash windows with frosted glass and horns. The southwest elevation, formerly the front elevation, has a central date plaque, while the current front elevation has raised rendered lettering which reads 'CAPEL CAERONNEN 1654. 1747. 1846 Adnewyddwyd. 1925'.
Inside the chapel is a single sided wooden gallery enclosed by vertical-panel matcboarding and supported upon circular cast iron columns with plain shallow moulded caps. The ceiling and walls are of white-painted plaster with later coving and ceiling tiles. Bench-style pews are arranged around a central aisle. The five-sided pulpit with canted sides is reached by steps to either side, and is matched by the open sided set fawr with canted sides.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents; CD/Ecclesiastical/SN64SW from O.M. Jenkins

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites