Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SOAR-Y-MYNYDD WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL

Site Details



NPRN 7229

Map Reference SN75SE

Grid Reference SN7846953276

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llanddewi Brefi

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Soar-y-Mynydd Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel is one of the best Welsh examples of an extremely isolated chapel of pre-1840 date built to serve a widely scattered congregation. The chapel was built in 1822 on land granted by John Jones of Nantlwyd. In 1944 there were 44 members; after the mid-twentieth century sale of farmland to the Forestry Commisson, membership levels fell to 10 in the 1960s. After moves to close the chapel, in 1973 Soar was re-opened. The whitewashed stone built chapel is rectangular, single storied and ungalleried. It adjoins a two-storey chapel house and schoolroom. The front of chapel has two tall semi-circular-headed wood-framed windows with Y-tracery. It is entered via paired double two-panel doors. The rear elevation has two tall arched windows with cambered heads. The chapel has a simple interior, with a plaster ceiling with coved cornice and crude rose. The box pews are slightly raked and form four main blocks. The pulpit is probably later nineteenth century with turned balusters to the steps which rise on either side, newels with finials, arched panel to pulpit front and consoles under the book-rest. The painted scroll behind reads: 'Duw cariad yw'.

Sources: CADW listed buildings database; T.J. Hughes, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.

RCAHMW, 12 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources