Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7246

Map Reference SN76NW

Grid Reference SN7304166650

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Ystrad Fflur

Type of Site CHAPEL


Period 18th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Rhydfendigaid Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was first built, together with a schoolroom, in 1794. It was then rebuilt in 1802, 1827, and 1859-60. It was later remodelled to the design of John Arthur Jones in 1907. It is in an Italianate Classical style, with a rubble stone exterior with cut sandstone dressings and long quoins stones, below a pitched slate roof with deep eaves upon paired brackets. The chapel is entered via a central round-headed doorway in the gable end, flanked by two long round-headed windows set into arched recesses with stone voussoirs, with a smaller round-headed window above the doorway. The side elevations each have three long round headed windows. The rear elevation is rendered has has two round headed windows with 1907 glazing bars.
The lobby of the church is striking for its floor of elaborate encaustic tiles. Within the main chapel there is a U-plan gallery with a pitch pine front and modillion cornice below, mounted upon cast iron columns with scrolled leaf capitals. Below there are three blocks of pitch-pine pews, with the outer rows canted inward. At the front of the chapel is a large pulpit platform, with panelled angle piers and a balustraded section to either side of the pulpit. The plaster ceiling is divided by plaster ribs with roundels to the centre and at the intersections. On the rear wall is a 1907 mosaid of a dove with a biblical inscription.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 20 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records