Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CAPEL GWYNFIL;CHAPEL LLANGEITHO, LLANGEITHO

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7247

Map Reference SN65NW

Grid Reference SN6204359791

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llangeitho

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 18th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Capel Gwynfil was built in 1760 for a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist community founded in 1735. It was later rebuilt/modified in 1764, 1813 and 1861-3, the latter to the design of John Lumley of Aberystwyth. Daniel Rowland (1713-1790), one of the founders of Welsh Methodism, was curate of Llangeitho, which because the centre of a powerful religious movement. The chapel is in a simple round-headed style, with two storeys, and has a roughcast exterior below a hipped slate roof with bracketed eaves. The entrance to the chapel was moved to the gable end in 1861. The fenestration is a combination of cambered-headed two-light and arch-headed windows with Y-tracery.
The chapel interior dates primarily to 1861-3, though the deep coved ceiling, acanthus and guilloche rose may be earlier. A gallery with canted angles and raised flat panels with quadrant rebated corners spans three sides of the chapel, mounted upon plain iron columns. There are three blocks of box pews, facing a plain great seat. In the churchyard there is a white marble statue of Daniel Rowlands mounted upon a square stone pedestal.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records