Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BETHESDA WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, PONT-HIRWAUN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7274

Map Reference SN24NE

Grid Reference SN26144515

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Beulah

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Bethesda Chapel and Schoolroom were built in 1840 to the design of John Jones a carpenter from Ffynnonddwrgi Fawr. The chapel was then rebuilt/altered and reroofed in 1870, had new windows in 1935, altered again in 1969, and had the stucco removed in 1981. The present chapel, datd 1870, is built in the Simple Round-Headed style. Bethesda is now Grade 2 listed as a good example of a late Georgian early Vivtorian chapel with good fittings.

RCAHMW, November 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records