Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

NANTERNIS WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, NANTERNIS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7276

Map Reference SN35NE

Grid Reference SN3723556473

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llandysiliogogo

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Nanternis Welsh Indepdent Chapel was built in 1867, but retains a late Georgian style and plan; there was some embellishment of the facade in the early twentieth century. It is in the simple round-headed style, with a pebbledashed lateral front with smooth rendered quoins and recessed openings. The roof is of Welsh slate, and it has projecting eaves and bargeboards. The chapel is entered via paired doors with fanlights to either end of the side elevation, flanking a pair of tall round-headed sash windows, and with a further two smaller round-headed lights above the entrances. The left hand elevation has no fenestration, while the church hall adjoins the right hand elevation. The rear elevation has two round-headed sash windows to each storey.
Within the chapel there is a three-sided gallery with panelled front and moulded beading, mounting upon iron posts by Thomas and Co. of Cardigan. The gallery seating is tiered and painted. Below are curved pews, and a pulpit with polygonal panelled front and flanking stairs. The ceiling has coving on the long sides, while the central portion is boarded and ribbed with radiating ribs and wooden ventilation panels.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 20 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records