Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PISGAH WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, PISGAH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7277

Map Reference SN45SW

Grid Reference SN4145051381

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llandysiliogogo

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Pisgah Welsh Independent Chapel was first built in 1821, but later rebuilt in 1849 and 1871(5); the vestry was added in 1898. It is in the simple round-headed style, built from uncoursed rubble stone with stone voussoirs and keystones, below a pitched slate roof with bracketed eaves. The chapel is entered via a central double door with fanlight in the gable elevation; above the door is a small eleven-pane round-headed sash window, and to either side is a tall twenty-six pane round-headed sash windows.
Within the chapel there is a three-sided slightly raked gallery with panelled front mounted upon cast iron columns with fluted capitals. Below are three banks of box pews, the outer pews facing inwards into the chapel. The pulpit is approached via paired staircases with timber balustrades. Above the pulpit is an inscribed plaque enclosed within a plaster arch. The ceiling is boarded.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 30 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records