Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TABERNACL WELSH BAPTIST CHAPEL, HIGH STREET, BRYMBO;PEN-Y-GRAIG;HARWT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7515

Map Reference SJ25SE

Grid Reference SJ29485396

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Brymbo

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Tabernacl Welsh Baptist Chapel was originally built in 1817, but later rebuilt in 1847/8 to the design of Samuel Jones of Brymbo. It was later enlarged in 1850, and rebuilt once more in 1865. It is in the Classical style, constructed of uncoursed sandstone blocks with rusticated quoins and a pitched slate roof. It was originally entered via a central doorway in the pedimented gable facade, flanked by segmentally-headed windows on the ground floor, round-headed above, and with a round-headed datestone in the gable apex. The side elevations similarly have segmented-headed windows below, and round-headed windows above. The upper windows on the front elevation have continous hoodmoulds, while all have keystones. The chapel is no longer in use and has been converted into a domestic dwelling, and so all glazing is modern, together with further alterations including the addition of a basement-level garage. All internal fixtures and fittings were lost as a result of the conversion.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 24 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites