Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

THE PALES, FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE;QUAKER, COED-SWYDD, LLANDEGLEY

Site Details



NPRN 8264

Map Reference SO16SW

Grid Reference SO13786406

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Radnorshire

Community Penybont

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Quaker meeting have been held on this site since the establishment of a burial ground in 1673. The Pales Quaker Meeting House was first built in 1716 and then rebuilt in 1745 in the Vernacular style of the long-wall entry type. A school was held in the former designated women's meeting room from 1867 and a schoolmaster's house added in 1878. The Meeting House had renovation works c.1955, in 1979 and the roof re-thatched in 1987. The Pales is now Grade 2 Listed as one of the earliest Quaker Meeting Houses in Wales.

RCAHMW, January 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites