Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PENIEL INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, ISLAW'R DREF

Site Details



NPRN 8336

Map Reference SH61NE

Grid Reference SH68861524

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Arthog

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Peniel Independent Chapel was first built in 1825 and the rebuilt in the mid nineteenth century. The present chapel is built in the Simple Round-Headed style of the gable-entry type and is "hidden in a dingle approached by afootpath" (Commander A. Mortimer). The chapel has stone walls, a slate roofed, a centre round-headed doorway with blind occulus over, and flanking round-headed windows with late nineteenth century or later tracery.

RCAHMW, January 2010