Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

JUDAH WELSH BAPTIST CHURCH, LOVE LANE, DOLGELLAU

Site Details



NPRN 8361

Map Reference SH71NW

Grid Reference SH7262017659

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Dolgellau

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Judah Welsh Baptist Church was built in 1800 withCraigwen stone walls and a Cefncam slate roof. This was enlarged in 1817 and then rebuilt in 1839, to the design of architect Richard Humpreys of Dyffryn. The chapel was renewed in 1875 with a new floor, seats and galley, and it restored again in 1928. The present chapel, dated 1875, is built in the Sub-Classical style with a gable-entry plan. It is single-storey and appears externally to date from the later nineteenth century with early-twentieth century alterations. On the facade there is a nineteenth century circular date plaque describing the sequence of building. Below the plaque are early twentieth century lean-to projections - the deeper right hand one has a four panel door with flanking early-twentieth century coloured-glass windows.

RCAHMW, January 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records