1. Built 1864 by the Shrewsbury & Chester Railway.
B.A.Malaws, 19 March 2002.
2. Situated off Bridge Street to the W of the town centre.
History: Designed by Henry Robertson in the 1860s replacing the original Shrewsbury and Chester Railway Station by T M Penson. Converted to offices late C20 and platform canopy removed.
Exterior: Tudor-Gothic Revival style, single storey. Sandstone ashlar with rusticated quoins, slate roof, stone chimneys. Elevation to road: projecting gabled wings to each end with stone copings and finials. Each has a tall mullioned and transomed window, partially blocked. Central range has central mullioned and transomed window, and a doorway on each side with Tudor-arch head and dimpled spandrels. Low ranges with end stack set back and attached to left and right. Similar platform elevation: low flanking ranges have blocked entrances and windows, other openings blocked, cast-iron gutter with shaped brackets and cast-iron rainwater goods.
Listed for its special interest as good example of an 1860s station in a style popular for rural railway architecture.
(Source: Cadw Listings database) S Garfi 13/10/06