RUABON RAILWAY STATION
Map Reference SJ34SW
Grid Reference SJ3006243821
Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham
Old County Denbighshire
Type of Site RAILWAY STATION
Broad Class Transport
Period Post Medieval
Site Description 1. Built 1864 by the Shrewsbury & Chester Railway.
B.A.Malaws, 19 March 2002.
2. Situated off Bridge Street to the W of the town centre.
History: Designed by Henry Robertson in the 1860s replacing the original Shrewsbury and Chester Railway Station by T M Penson. Converted to offices late C20 and platform canopy removed.
Exterior: Tudor-Gothic Revival style, single storey. Sandstone ashlar with rusticated quoins, slate roof, stone chimneys. Elevation to road: projecting gabled wings to each end with stone copings and finials. Each has a tall mullioned and transomed window, partially blocked. Central range has central mullioned and transomed window, and a doorway on each side with Tudor-arch head and dimpled spandrels. Low ranges with end stack set back and attached to left and right. Similar platform elevation: low flanking ranges have blocked entrances and windows, other openings blocked, cast-iron gutter with shaped brackets and cast-iron rainwater goods.
Listed for its special interest as good example of an 1860s station in a style popular for rural railway architecture.
(Source: Cadw Listings database) S Garfi 13/10/06