Neath Abbey Ironworks was established in the eighteenth century. There are several notable surviving structures including two superb blast furnaces (NPRN 85098) dating from 1793 built against a rock face for ease of charging, Ty Mawr, the ironmaster's house of 1801 and the engine manufactory (NPRN 85097). Higher up the Clydach valley is a former water-powered forge (NPRN 40458) with an iron roof cast at the works in 1825. The building was later used as a woollen mill (NPRN 96478) and machinery was removed to the former Swansea Maritime and Industrial Museum. Further upstream, the river was dammed to ensure a reserve of water and a strong steady flow to the ironworks. The present large masonry dam (NPRN 33643), which carries a public road, dates from about 1840. The Ironworks finally closed in 1885.
RCAHMW, 11 March 2009.