Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

NEATH ABBEY IRONWORKS;RIVERSIDE WORKS, NEATH ABBEY

Site Details


NPRN 85096

Map Reference SS79NW

Grid Reference SS73809773

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Dyffryn Clydach

Type of Site IRON WORKS

Broad Class Industrial

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Neath Abbey Ironworks was established in the eighteenth century. There are several notable surviving structures including two superb blast furnaces (NPRN 85098) dating from 1793 built against a rock face for ease of charging, Ty Mawr, the ironmaster's house of 1801 and the engine manufactory (NPRN 85097). Higher up the Clydach valley is a former water-powered forge (NPRN 40458) with an iron roof cast at the works in 1825. The building was later used as a woollen mill (NPRN 96478) and machinery was removed to the former Swansea Maritime and Industrial Museum. Further upstream, the river was dammed to ensure a reserve of water and a strong steady flow to the ironworks. The present large masonry dam (NPRN 33643), which carries a public road, dates from about 1840. The Ironworks finally closed in 1885.
RCAHMW, 11 March 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites