Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HYFRYDLE CHAPEL, THOMAS STREET, HOLYHEAD

Site Details



NPRN 8670

Map Reference SH28SW

Grid Reference SH2446882522

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Holyhead

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Welsh Calvinist cause in Holyhead began in 1785 and the first Hyfrydle Methodist Chapel built in 1808. This was enlarged in 1847, rebuilt in 1856 and then rebuilt again in 1888. The latter was designed by the influential architect Owen Morris Roberts of Porthmadog, in the Classical/Italianate style with a gable-entry plan. Hyfrydle is now Grade 2 listed for its contribution to the townscape of Holyhead and its impressive interior.

RCAHMW, February 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites