Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BETHEL WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, CEMAES

Site Details



NPRN 8693

Map Reference SH39SE

Grid Reference SH37129334

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llanbadrig

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The cause at Bethel began in 1818 and the first chapel built in 1827. The present structure is built parallel to the road with a cross gable at one end and seems to consist of the chapel of 1827 with rather idiosyncratic additions in 1910. These include a prominent tower on the road side of the entrance, in the gable end, and elaborate hood moulds over the otherwise simple round-headed windows with gothic 'Y' tracery. The tower includes rooms and has flat headed windows and a short pyramidal spire. In 2003 Bethel was still in use as a chapel.

RCAHMW, June 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records