Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANFACHRETH WELSH BAPTIST CHURCH (PONTYRARW), LLANFACHRAETH

Site Details



NPRN 8732

Map Reference SH38SW

Grid Reference SH31588218

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llanfachraeth

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The congregation of the Llanfachreth Welsh Baptist Church was formed in 1787. The original date of the chapel is unknown but it was rebuilt or substantially modified in 1810 and again in 1837. It was enlarged in 1860. The present building is a large plain rendered hipped-roof, square plan chapel of 1837, built in the Vernacular style with a few external Italianate decorations of 1860. Inside the platform pulpit of 1860 is situated between the two doors and has a sedd fawr in front with pews raked in to the hillside. An Italianate gable-entrance Sunday School, presumably of 1860, is to the right of the entrance facade and more school rooms are behind the chapel with a chapel house at the rear completing the complex. In 2003 it was still in use as a chapel use and was in good condition. It is a good example of a 'hipped-box' chapel characteristic of the early to mid nineteenth-century.

RCAHMW January 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records