Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

EBENESER WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, LLANFECHELL

Site Details



NPRN 8758

Map Reference SH39SE

Grid Reference SH36519092

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Mechell

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Ebeneser congregation's first chapel was built in 1805. It is recorded as being rebuilt or modified in 1862 and again in 1883, but the inscription below the main window on the facade dates the present building to 1862. The style is Gothic, but for a chapel it has an unusually large (six-light) traceried window, executed in correct flowing-decorated style (late 14th century), above the single gothic entrance door set in the main gable to the road. The chapel is rendered and down each side are four gothic windows but with simplified 'gothick' eighteenth-century type glazing-bars, probably all of 1862. There is a small cross-wing Sunday School at the rear which may form part of the 1883 alterations and a platform pulpit inside the chapel at the far end wall from the entrance. There is a large detached chapel house or manse to the right of the chapel and an extensive grave-yard behind the chapel. The chapel is single-storey. When the exterior was photographed on 15 April 2003 the building was still in use for worship and in good condition.

RCAHMW, January 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records