Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CALFARIA WELSH BAPTIST CHURCH, MYNYDD MECHELL

Site Details



NPRN 8759

Map Reference SH38NE

Grid Reference SH36058998

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Mechell

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The first chapel for the Calfaria congregation was built in 1815 and it rebuilt or modified three times - in 1842, 1862 and 1897. The present building is a simple single-storeyed structure with a plaque of 1897 set over the central gable-end door. This is flanked by a simple round-headed window with mock timber-framing set in the rendered gable. The side walls are of rubble stone with windows of the domestic type set under segmental brick arches, and there are multiple foundation-stones set to either side of the door. When visited and the exterior photographed on 15 April 2003 the chapel was still in active use and well maintained.

RCAHMW, January 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records