Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

RHYDWYN WELSH BAPTIST CHURCH, RHYD-WYN, LLANRHUDDLAD

Site Details



NPRN 8808

Map Reference SH38NW

Grid Reference SH31488899

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Cylch-y-garn

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Rhydwyn's congregation, or cause, was established in 1791 and the chapel was first built in the period between 1800 and 1810. It was rebuilt in 1814 and again in 1842 (according to a plaque re-set in the wall). Rhydwyn was rebuilt again in 1914 (according to a plaque on the present south-eastern show-front). The current form is a hipped-roof 'box' and its walls probably date substantially from the rebuilding of 1842. The side-wall, facing away from the road and onto the extensive burial-ground, has domestic-style windows which probably date from the chapel of 1842. In 1914 the more visible walls of the chapel seem to have been given a more gothic guise with lancet narrow gothic windows and a three-light perpendicular traceried window over the central south-eastern entrance front and porches. A structure alongside the stream on the south-eastern edge of the burial-ground may have been a Baptismal tank. This chapel is of interest for the way it illustrates how congregations only tended to embellish those sides of the chapel most visible to the general population.

RCAHMW, July 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records