Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SALEM WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, SALEM STREET, BRYNGWRAN

Site Details



NPRN 8822

Map Reference SH37NW

Grid Reference SH34937741

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Bryngwran

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Salem's congregation, or 'cause' began in 1794 and the chapel built in 182. This was enlarged in 1839 and renovated in 1900. The present chapel is of a hipped-roof 'box' type and its walls and fenestration probably date from 1839. The plaque high-up in the centre gable of its south-eastern entrance front to the road, gives the name of the builder-architects as 'W.D. D.M.' . The twin south-eastern porches and lean-to shelter in between were probably added during the 1900 renovation. There is an extensive burial-ground to the south-west.

RCAHMW, July 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records