Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BONT METHODIST CHAPEL, PONTRHYDBONT;CAPEL HOREB, FOUR MILE BRIDGE

Site Details



NPRN 8842

Map Reference SH27NE

Grid Reference SH27427806

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Rhoscolyn

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description A chapel for the Methodist congregation in Pontrhydbont was originally built in 1806, modified in 1860. The was re-built in 1874, in the Gothic style, to the design of architect Richard Davies of Bangor and the present building is from this date. It has an impressive gable-front executed in squared stone towards the road with plainer rendered rear and side elevations. The front gable has a wheel window of pierced tracery set over the original wide porch which has a shouldered archway with a pierced tracery quadrefoil set over it. There are three lancet windows down each side and a triple group of ascending size on the rear of the chapel. The pulpit is set against the rear wall within a Set Fawr and there is a large chapel house, 'Bryn Awel', to one side of the chapel. The chapel was closed in 1998 but when visited and photographed on 15 April 2003 was in good condition and now Grade 2 Listed.

RCAHMW, March 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources