Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HOREB, GORSLWYD WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL;GORS-LWYD, RHOS-Y-BOL

Site Details



NPRN 8848

Map Reference SH48NW

Grid Reference SH42468805

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Rhosybol

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Horeb's congregation, or cause, was possibly established in 1797 and the chapel was certainly first built in 1791. This was rebuilt in 1827 and again in 1865, the later to the design of architect R G Thomas of Menai Bridge. The present chapel, dated 1865, is built in the Italianate style with a hipped-roof 'box' in form and smple gothick tracery on the front. To the north-east (right) is a single-storey Sunday School with domestic, or Vernacular style windows, built in 1892 at a cost of £450 to build. To the left (south), nearer the road was a caretaker's house constructed in 1865 (G.Jones,'Capeli Mon',111). The interior has a large platform-pulpit (backed by a classical arch) and set fawr for the deacons at the far (north-western) end of the chapel, there are internal wooden lobbies to the twin doors and a simple wooden-boarded flat ceiling divided into separate fields with three central ventilation vents. This is a fine example of a large mid-nineteenth-century 'hipped box' chapel, an intermediate form between early long-wall and later gable-ended 'show-front' chapels. It is an important work of the known chapel architect R.G.Thomas of Menai Bridge / Porthaethwy.

RCAHMW, July 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records